Thursday 30 January 2014

WOW! How? - Card into Treat Box Tutorial

Hello Hello!
As promised on Sunday here is the treat box tutorial for you. I have used the Good as Gold Sale-A-Bration Kit, but you could use any card blank that measures 3.5" x 5" when folded and swap out an envelope liner for some pretty patterned Designer Series Paper. I have done this tutorial in lots of detail so it is suitable for complete beginners. If you have any questions please ask in the comments section and I will do my best to answer!

Here is what we are aiming for:
You should allow approximately 20 minutes for this make.

STEP 1:
Gather up tools and materials

You will need:
Paper snips
Scoring tool
Adhesives (I used multipurpose liquid glue, sticky strip and dimensionals)
1/4 sheet of A4 Whisper White card
1 set of materials from "Good as Gold" card kit

Optional:
Window sheet (or scrap of acetate)
Punch or die measuring a maximum of 1-3/4" across.
Bone Folder
Step 1: Gather tools and materials

STEP 2:
If using Good of Gold kit: Trim 1/8" off your opened out card blank so it measures 4-7/8" x 7"
If using own card blank, trim your patterned paper lining to the same size as your base card.
Step 2: trim off 1/8" from the long side

STEP 3:
Mount your envelope liner / patterned paper centrally onto your card blank. Once dry, trim off any overhanging edges.
Step 3: Mount and trim off excess.

STEP 4:
Carefully score at 1/2", 1.5", 2.5" and 3.5". If using envelope liner make sure to score the end without the foil! I scored both sides to make the folds crisp.
Step 4: Score 4 lines at 1" intervals, starting at 1/2"

STEP 5:
Add sticky strip the the end tab (if using the Good as Gold kit, put the tape on the spotty side!)
Step 5: Add tape to tab

STEP 6 (optional - if not proceed to step 8):
Die cut or punch a window in your box. Circle punches work well such as in the first photo, or here I am using a die. Make sure that any punching is in the first 2 inches (marked by scores) after the line of tape (shown in red in the picture).
Step 6: Create window or aperture

STEP 7:
Cut a small piece of window sheet or acetate to cover the shaped hole. Fix in place with tape or glue dots.
Step 7: Cover aperture with window sheet

STEP 8:
Crease the scores you have made and stick the tab to the back of the box to make a 1" square tube.
Step 8: Stick into square tube.

STEP 9:
Cut two 2" x 2" squares from your piece of Whisper White card.
Step 9: Cut 2 squares, each 2" x 2"

STEP 10:
Score each of the small squares at 1/2" and 1-1/2" in both directions
Step 10: Score tabs onto squares

STEP 11:
Cut the corners off, fold along the score lines, then add a dab of glue to the flaps before inserting ONE of the squares. Keep the second square to put in AFTER you have inserted any treats :)
Step 11: Add one end-square to box, keeping other end reserved until after box filled with yumminess!

STEP 12:
Trim your remaining Whisper white piece to 2-3/4" x 4-1/8", then mount onto the back of your box.
Step 12: Trim white card to size and mount.

STEP 13:
Embellish front and back of the box with the lovely pre-cut tags. I have used dimensionals to mount the sentiment and add impact.
Step 13: Embellish box as desired.

STEP 14:
Last but not least use the two strands of twine to tie a bow around the box. If you are careful and tie the box towards one end of the twine, you may have enough twine left over to tie a second mini bow on the opposite side!
Step 14: Tie a bow - front
Step 14: Tie a bow - back (using leftover twine)

TA DAAAA!
Here are two of the finished boxes, just using different windows. I think the 'I Love U' is my favourite. Which is yours? Let me know and leave a comment!


If you have enjoyed this tutorial then please leave me a comment, or share it on Facebook / Pinterest / Twitter!
Happy Crafting!
Becky

I work hard to produce these materials, so if you are a demo and would like to use this idea for a class then please email me first to gain my consent - I am happy to share :) I just don't appreciate people claiming my work as their own! Thanks for your understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is fabulous Becky..... I will be back to make one of these for myself soon... Should get the cards etc on my next order! And love love love.... The i^u version...that works really well... Looks like a great tutorial... I am sure it will be as easy to follow as your cracker one... Which I have used more than once! Take Care....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I love to read them!